Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Highlighting Nature

Being a mother of autistic kids, I often wonder how they relate to their world.  I never know how they see the world; what pops into their minds when they hear, see, or feel something.  Nature, for instance, provides a myriad of opportunities for the senses to experience the world.

One of my favorite places on earth is the beach.  All the senses embrace input. I love it.  I am not sure if my boys appreciate the same gratitude of the beach's natural beauty. When I ask them, they can't really put into words what they do or don't experience.

Through this photo shop class, Ryan is conveying what he sees.  Quite an eye-opener.

Literally!

A couple of weeks ago Mike took the boys to Yosemite. The camera busily recorded all the beautiful sites and tiring hikes the guys endeavored.  Ryan took some of the photos to his class, and he "enhanced" them.  For once, I get to see inside Ryan's thoughts.  He's highlighting what he sees.  He's using colors that I wouldn't necessarily relate to the scene; nonetheless, his interpretation of nature yields spectacular, striking images.

I can't wait to see the next set of photos!!

No comments:

Post a Comment