Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Ryan and Nick Have Jobs

"Do you like working with kids?" came the unexpected question.

Ryan tried to suppress a smirk that overcame him. "Yes!"  He beamed.

By the end of the short conversation, which is very typical of my son with autism, Ryan had a job working with kids who would be getting pictures with the Easter Bunny.  It was a temporary, minimum wage job at the local mall.  A normal, first-time job for any teenager.

I was surprised.  And thrilled!

A couple of days later, at Nick's insistence, Nick was also hired.

A friend of a friend, who is a manager of this photo set-up, simply thought Ryan would be good with kids, so she asked me.  I knew Ryan loved kids, and I told her to ask Ryan.  I definitely wanted the question to come from her and not me.  MOM does enough to get Ryan involved in a lot of things--whether he likes it or not.  It'd be much better for her to initiate the process, and to not have me involved.

So Ryan and Nick have been on the job for several days now.  They struggle with communicating with the kids and customers, but they are quick learners.  Their boss informed me that she just has to tell them once, and they pick up whatever she is teaching them.

Now they wait for their first paycheck with great anticipation!!


2 comments:

  1. Two boys to be proud of Sheryl. Good job mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO happy for you and especially for them. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete