Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Cameron vs Camp Pendelton

Looking down the barrel of the gun
Cameron left yesterday with his JROTC class for four days at Camp Pendelton in Southern California.  I read out loud to Mike everything that we are signing away on the release form, and Cameron was loving it: (injury from but not limited to) flying projectiles, explosions, flying and motor vehicles, live munitions...  The list goes on.

Activities involving massive weaponry would make any mom worry.  Not me so much. Instead, I worry about the military base surviving Cameron.  I think we should have had the administration on the base sign a waiver releasing us from lawsuits as they are bringing Cameron onto their field...

My dad introduced Cameron to real firearms when Cameron was quite young.  We wanted to ensure that Cameron, as well as all our boys--even with autism, knew how to use and respect guns. Consequently, my dad has taken the boys to a shooting range. Since then, Cameron has been working on marksmanship randomly, and he loves it.  He has decorated his room with the paper from his target practices.

I am not sure where Cameron's interest grew.  Perhaps, video games and movies have inspired and enticed him.  He has joined the marksmanship club at school, so he continues to learn about the weaponry as he practices.

Cameron has found a hobby he likes, and he is quite good at it. Through the JROTC, he should learn the self discipline necessary to handle the dangers presented.  Of course, they don't use live ammunition on campus, but guns still demand to be treated with care and maturity.  Cameron can be quite "spirited and enthusiastic" when given an opportunity to be unleashed!

Cameron is thriving on it all!

Here's a link to Cam at target practice:  http://sherylscript.blogspot.com/2014/07/in-spirit-of-second-amendment-learning.html

No comments:

Post a Comment