Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Autistic Sons Admire Sunset

Being a mom of special needs kids taxes mental and physical energy.  I can get caught up in tons of paperwork and appointments.  There is always something waiting to be tackled!  Interruptions don't help.  Doorbells, phones, and texts are among the common agitators. Even the kids' yelling, "MOM," can grate on the nerves.  That "Mom" quickly shifts from "Mom?" to "Mom!!"

I cringe.  "Just let me finish this," I yell.

As a result, I can miss some great moments.  This last time, the call of "Mom" was to see a beautiful sunset.  If I had persisted in finishing my task, I would have missed it.  I was amazed at how fast it changed within seconds.  By the time I got the closest camera out, the colors had moved far away within those moments.

This was not an emergency, but it was important.  I am glad my boys demanded my attention, and I came.  We shared a few moments of an awesome, stunning sunset.

This also illustrates that kids with autism can appreciate the beauty of nature.  Many assume that autistic people lack the cognitive ability to appreciate nature or items that are beyond their touch.  That is simply untrue.  Actually, it may be we who are caught up in the paperwork who don't have the cognitive ability to stop and appreciate nature!!

In this case, my autistic sons stopped to admire the sunset.  THEY believed it was important enough to call me.  This just reinforces we don't always know what autistic kids can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment