Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Courage To Try

My sons are my heroes.  Case study: Nick.

Nick has been invited to go ice skating tonight.  He accepted the invitation. Then he turned to me and asked, "What do I do?"

Nick has never been skating.  No ice skating, roller skating, or roller blading.  For most of his youth, we have focused on his general coordination and balance as well as sensory and tactile issues.  Nick was in first grade before he could tolerate shoes.  He was in fifth or sixth grade before he could wear long sleeve shirts or long pants without prior conditioning.  Nick had adaptive PE for most of grade school.  Physical and occupational therapies were weekly occurrences until high school.  Activities like skating were beyond what we ever thought Nick could do!

Today, Nick's big brother, Mike, has lent Nick roller blades.  I have spent the time finding how-to ice skate videos online and then implementing the concepts with roller blades.  No, they are not the same, but the idea of balance is similar.  For a kid who has not done any skating, this type of motion is unfathomable.  However, Nick will not be deterred.

We started on carpet.  Then we moved out to the patio.  I led him.  He tried alone.  He fell.  A few times.  Two hours later, he's moving on his own.  Not graceful, but independent.  He has taken one break, only because his little brother wanted to try.

Nick has put the skates back on and has been alone for about 30 minutes, just skating back and forth on the patio.  Well, more of pushing and pulling himself, but he's moving a bit better.  All within a few hours.

I can't believe he is so determined to learn so quickly, and go with peers to do something new.  He truly is courageous.  So many people fear failure and embarrassment.  Nick's desire to go out with friends and potentially have fun outweighs his concern of any negative outcome. That's courage!


No comments:

Post a Comment