Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Water Rafting in Alaska

While we were in Alaska, we actually did activities together.  One was water rafting.  Water was a balmy 37 degrees (F).  As the ice glaciers melt, the water gets COLDER during the summer.  No, Mike did not consult me on the water temperature.  I've always liked water rafting during the summer, so why should this be different?  Ahh, maybe the water would be cold??  It was!!  However, it was worth it.  The scenery was breathtaking.  Beautiful sunshine.  (Some) snow on the mountains.  Crystal clear rivers.

We also got a professional portrait of ourselves done on board the ship.  Mike said we should do things that we don't normally do.  So, here is our official 25th anniversary photo together!


No comments:

Post a Comment