Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Cameron's Capers

My youngest has sprouted in the blink of an eye.  It seems as if it were yesterday when we were teaching him how to walk and talk--for the second time.

Cameron experienced a traumatic reaction to the MMR shot, rendering him having to relearn everything.  He also had to overcome issues that did not exist previously.  He became self abusive, and well, there's quite a history, of which I have written previously in earlier entries.

I now look at my son, who was diagnosed at age 2 with autism.  He is now a young man, learning to drive, going to formals, attending honors classes, and looking towards a promising future.  I never take for granted his progress.  I am grateful.  His endurance and strength give many others hope.

Cameron does not remember those tough years.  I remind him occasionally.  He needs to know how severe he was, so he can appreciate where he's going.  I hope to teach him compassion for others as well.  Sometimes, when a person overcomes weaknesses, that person has a difficult time being patient with others who suffer that particular weakness.

I've watched Cameron mature and grow.  I'm impressed with his quiet demeanor and sometimes laugh at his subtle sarcasm.  He's a force to be reckon, so he still needs guidance, as a young man should.





No comments:

Post a Comment