Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Dean's Debut

My grandson, Dean, was born this morning. He is 21 inches and 8 pounds.  Good size; healthy boy.  Yet, I cringe.  With a new life, there are so many dreams.  No one wants to think of disabilities and shortfalls.  However, I have to admit I am concerned about a lurking disability in his future.  I have talked with my son about potential dangers that could trigger issues, but "it" is still an unknown.  Since our sons' lineage showed no inherited disabilities, we had very little concern, but BAM, four of our boys were hit.  Stuart had a speech delay and speech impairment.  Will his son have the same?

Of course, I'm not bringing this up to anyone at this time, but it is a thought in the back of my mind.  I am not the parent.  I really can do nothing but watch.  I can coach my son.  Maybe give advice if he asks, but I can take no action.

After four boys with special needs issues and constantly in active mode, this is different for me--being quiet in the background. I've learned to speak up and quickly.  Sometimes loudly.  Often repetitively.  I could be in the doc's office or school meeting.  The squeaky wheel gets oiled!  If I spoke up, gently but assertively, my boys usually received what they needed.  Being quiet usually yields nothing.

For now, we enjoy the birth of our first grandson, and quietly I will have to rely on a little bible verse: Matt 6:  33-34.  33"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. 34"So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough troubles of its own.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you ti be watchful and aware. I do hope that all goes well. Best wishes to everyone in the new baby's life! Sue Ellen Peters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you are such a sweet grand-momma. The love you have for him already is so beautiful. Yes, you may have to be more silent, but your prayers will shout LOUDLY to Him. Your grandson is blessed to have you in his life. And, so am I, dear friend. :)

    ReplyDelete