Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Shadowing Nick: New Routines

I watch Nick as he learns to maneuver the campus.
Nick has started his second semester at the local community college.  He's taking classes on two different campuses.  He is somewhat nervous.  His schedule has changed, so he needs to establish new habits and routines.

We start with an introduction and rehearsal.  Nick has a print out of a map.  We visit each campus, pointing out landmarks.  We find his classrooms and write down what days and times he will be in that classroom.  We then find the closest bathrooms and drinking fountain.

A few days later, we visit the campus again, but he leads.  He finds the location.  I shadow him.  If he gets lost, I follow.  If he gets discouraged, he calls me.  I try to point out landmarks if necessary until he can find the classroom.

We may do this exercise a few times.  Once he is comfortable, I then drop him off and find a place to sit on campus.  He maneuvers his way independently.  I am still close if he needs me, but I am not following.

Eventually, he will be able to follow the new schedule on his own.  He learns it much quicker than he did in high school.  However, Nick still experiences anxiety and stress.  Ironically, no matter where his classes are, he learns where the local coffee joint is.  He can chill with coffee anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment