Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Footprints with a Twist-Part I


Most people are familiar with the poem of "Footprints", and the usual reaction is a favorable one, "I really like that."

I disagree.

The end of the poem says that the Good Lord was present, actually carrying the individual at the lowest part of his/her life. That is the warm fuzzy-ending that makes everyone happy. Note that I am not disputing it. I have been carried many times, probably more than I know.

One thing is missing: how is the individual carried?

I suspect most people would envision a warm envelopment between a loving parent and child. I can easily see a father's hug shielding his child from the world. He carries his child effortlessly. He comforts his child, assuring that his child is protected. No harm will come. No hurt. His child is loved. His child needs to know nothing more, but His love.

My experience is radically different.

photo credit: almostsummersky

No comments:

Post a Comment