Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Happy 24th Anniversary Eve

Mike & Sheryl 2004
Tonight we spent on our own--a quiet afternoon/evening together.  The boys are with their biggest brother working on the backyard, which yields time for Mike and me.  We had a simple, quiet dinner.  Nothing fancy.  We were happy just spending time together.

It's nice to know that we don't need any hyped-up activity to keep us entertained. With young adults with autism, life is exciting enough.  They keep us going as we never know what they'll will do, or what bureaucratic mess might be thrown at us.

I smile as I write that because autism is a world of its own.  One I could do without, but it is a part of our lives together.  Together, we meet it, head-on.  But it's only a part of our lives.  We keep that perspective.  It does not define us.  We are much more.  We have to be to keep going!  

No comments:

Post a Comment