Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Hugs

My sister-in-law wrote, "Never under estimate the power of a hug. This simple gesture is not really simple at all. Its complexity in action and response makes it one of the strongest forces in the world, making it heal almost anything!"

A hug is how we found out about deep pressure, which helps relieve sensory meltdowns when my boys were young.  It was one of those days when I was hanging onto sanity by a thread.  Ryan couldn't talk at that time.  He wanted something and was going into a ballistic tantrum.  I couldn't figure out what he wanted.

At the same time, Nick was hungry and needed to be fed.  Both kids chimed out, "MAMA!"

I gave Nick a quick snack, so I could focus on Ryan.

I was in tears, trying to figure out what Ryan wanted.  I couldn't solve the mystery.  I ended up just hugging him really tight. At first, Ryan resisted.  He didn't like to be touched, let alone hugged.  There were dents in the wall from Ryan leaning backwards to get away from people who wanted to hug him.

Within a few moments, we both calmed down.  Then he hugged me.  He was about four years old.  I received my first hug from Ryan.

Later I mentioned this to Ryan's adaptive PE teacher.  She said they have weighted vests to help keep the kiddos calm.  The physical therapist also said that deep pressure helps.  She showed me how to apply it, and it worked every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment