Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Friday, December 9, 2011

Fun and Frivolous

I made a cake last Sunday, just for the fun of it. No birthday. No special occasion.

Confusion.

The boys didn't know what to say. They looked perplexed and confused. They didn't understand that it was ok to make a cake.

That made me think about how much we do because there is a reason. For kids with autism, a schedule is a dictate for life. NOTHING happens unless there is a reason. Life is black and white. Gray is cause for confusion. While a schedule can make life easier, it can make life bland. I want my sons to be able to enjoy life, not just "have to do" things.

During this Advent Season, this is one lesson I will teach. Spontaneity. It's ok to do things without planning. Autistic kids have a difficult time if things are not predictable, but life doesn't happen always according to a plan (does it ever?). Nonetheless, life can still be enjoyed.

My plan for tomorrow is to have our meals backwards. Dessert for breakfast. I think that will be a pleasant surprise. It might totally throw their world upside down. However, I don't think they will argue. Much. They might even paraphrase Bill Cosby about chocolate cake for breakfast--it has eggs, milk, wheat--a great breakfast! We'll end with eggs for dinner.

I never knew baking a cake would cause such a stir!

No comments:

Post a Comment