Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Speech Pathologist: Ryan Doesn't Need Services Anymore (but...)

Ryan
Last Monday morning, I received a call from the local high school speech pathologist.  She gave me wonderful news that she had tested Ryan on comprehension and vocabulary.  He tested very high.  She indicated to me that Ryan had mastered several goals, and this test verifies that Ryan does not need speech services at school.

Of course, that sounds great!  A parent of a special needs child awaits a life time to hear this.

She told me that she had talked with Ryan, and he agreed that he didn't need services.  He was doing well in his classes.  He could talk when he wanted.  They were mutually happy with this decision.  She just needed me to agree.

I didn't.

Following my gut instinct, I just don't think Ryan is ready.  Then I started to think that maybe I'm being overprotective.  I had to take time to think this through.  Of course, I talked with Mike, and we debated if Ryan was ready to discontinue speech.  We finally decided NO.

First, Ryan doesn't want to do more than necessary, unless it intrigues him.  So to get a chance to not work, that fine with him.  Typical of autism.

Second, Ryan still has communication issues.  Over Christmas break, he clearly demonstrated that he has a difficult time holding a conversation.  He used his catch phrases: "I don't know" and "I don't remember".  He came up with a new one:  "I am not sure".  Other than that, he didn't talk much.

Third, Ryan told me that he didn't like the speech/communication class he was in.  Ryan informed me that he doesn't want to continue this class because there is a "person who talks too much which bothers me" and a person "who has an annoying laugh".  Ryan has always had sensory issues with sound, and this could be a reason for lack of motivation in that class.

So now we need to explore what can the speech pathologist do to help Ryan if this class isn't working.  We also need to convince the speech pathologist that Ryan needs to continue with services.  Not an easy feat!

No comments:

Post a Comment