Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

How To Enjoy Raindrops

Ryan could sit and stare at raindrops for hours. At the age of four, he was very content to sit and watch. He could not talk then, so I really had no idea what he was thinking.

I wonder if he remembers. I can only imagine that he was looking at the raindrops like most kids look at clouds. I remember looking at clouds and trying to imagine what those shapes could be... a hand, an elephant, a tree.

Maybe Ryan was playing the connect the dots in his mind, or maybe he simply just watched the drops to see where they went. Could he have imagined that those drops were mini-worlds?

I do know that those drops kept Ryan entertained for hours. He quietly observed. He dared to touch a few drops. He quickly dried his fingers. He listened to the rhythm as the rain dripped. Then he repeated the pattern with his own fingers on the ground.

Some people could call this obsessive-compulsive behavior. I would like to think he was learning about his environment.

At this point in my life, I would love to take the time to watch raindrops for longer than a few seconds. Maybe Ryan was onto something much bigger than just watching raindrops. Maybe he found a few moments of peace.

photo credit:tibchris

No comments:

Post a Comment