Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I Want To Be In Hot Water!

Today I planned on writing about tactile issues. However, I'm going to write about flexibility with autistic children. This change is born out of necessity of life.

Today our water heater broke. No hot water means cold showers. Yea, right!

Improvise! With autistic children? Yea, right!

One of the "symptoms" of autism is a rigidness about schedules. My 13 year-old Nick and 15 year-old Ryan are no different. They prefer a non-changing schedule, so that they know what is coming next. We usually give them a two-minute warning when they have to stop the current activity, just like football. Even with a warning, there is no guarantee that these kids will adjust willingly (or unwillingly).

This morning Mike and I discovered the "no hot water" problem. I immediately started boiling water in a pan, micro-waving water in a bowl, and heating water in my hot pot from my college days. As the boys woke up, I told them the problem, how it would effect them, and how we would live for the day. I specifically said that the water heater broke, so there was no hot water. Then I said that they could wash their hair in the kitchen sink with my help. They could also take a sponge bath, hospital style. I also emphasized that "no shower" or "no hair washing" simply was not an option.

Nick had to repeat everything I said, but he still was ready to take a normal shower. I had to stop him and remind him that it would be a cold shower. He wanted to take a shower. I decided not to push the issue. In a minute I heard the shower go on. And off. He came out and opted for the hot water-sink option for washing his hair.

Ryan braved the cold shower, but only after I brought in bowls of hot water and left. He decided he could put wash-clothes in the hot water and use them to do his own sponge bath in the shower. Creative. He wanted to be completely independent (which I was totally grateful and thankful that was his wish).

Stuart and Cameron had no problem adjusting.

So here's to the life of hot showers and boiling water. I also understand why plumbers do get paid well!

No comments:

Post a Comment