Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Autism and Hope: Progress and Recovery

Last Friday night Ryan went to a new social setting, which alone was an amazing feat. The incredible part was Nick encouraging his older brother to "be brave; don't be a coward; you can do it". Nick commented to me as we were walking away from Matt, that maybe he should stay and help Ryan. Nick is the boy who expressed suicidal thoughts two years ago. Nick's confidence and tone were foreign to me. Nick is no longer the little boy who needs my protection. Eight years ago doctors said "autism" and "institutions" and "nothing you can do"... Yes, I'm stubborn. I wasn't going to give up on my boys, but I never dreamed... prayers being answered... Nick's autism was more severe than Ryan's... their courage... their potential...

Of course, there were stressful years before the boys' diagnosis of autism. All the years were anxious, stressful, laborious. There were no guarantees that any therapy or drug would help. After eight years since the diagnosis, definitive progress for both boys is evident. YEA! They still have a hard journey ahead...

Last Friday night was so bittersweet, but I'm loving it!

Photo credit:BLW Photography

1 comment:

  1. You are such a fabulous mom! I look up to you so much! Tell Cody how proud of him I am for his progress! I love your family!

    ReplyDelete