Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Second Day: Yea and Oops

Today was another success--if you ignore that fact that I forgot to pick up my son from school. OOPS.

I have spent the last week writing down the schedule, where everyone has to be, and who is driving said person at what time. Yesterday and today, my husband, son, and mom have been perfect. Guess who forgot her responsibility? Me.

What is really ironic, is that I always pick up Ryan from school on Tuesdays and Thursdays! How could I forget? Actually, it was quite easy. Do you remember what it felt like to get out of school, waiting for that last bell to ring? Waiting, watching the second hand... Well, I relived that, and boy, when that last "bell" rang, I was out the door, running to the car--FREE. I couldn't wait to get home, see my boys, and get a few minutes of rest before teaching piano.

I was half way home before my brain registered that something was wrong. I suddenly remembered poor Ryan. So much for that quick trip home. I had to turn around and backtrack. Of course, as soon as I realized my mistake, Ryan was calling my cell phone, "Mom, where are you?" I told him I'd be right there, well, in ten minutes. It actually took me twelve minutes. Anyways, he was waiting patiently for me in the school office, reading a magazine. Not too bad, but still: Oops.

Now for the successes: I'm learning many different ways to think. However, there is a lot of reading, so by the end of the day, my eyes are dying. I'm really enjoying the job. Also, I came home, and Cam was making his dinner that he practiced last week. All was under control. So far, I'm impressed with the kiddos... Yea!

Day Two Down!
photo creditr3v || cls

No comments:

Post a Comment