Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Mom and Sons: We Made It!

Yep, I made it through my first full time work week in years. The boys all took turns cooking dinner. Most of the time they had the dinner table set when I walked in the door. Laundry has been done; well, the clothes are cleaned and waiting on our couch to be folded. They did a great job overall. I love my kids!!! I'm very proud of them.

Home schooling has taken a beating somewhat. Only when my mom has been here has everything been done--on time. Tomorrow will be a "make-up day", but somehow I'll make it fun since it will be Saturday. Maybe it'll be a movie night if we get everything done. Will have to think about it.

I also did thoroughly enjoy going to happy hour with my oldest son. I have not seen him in a social setting in a very long time. I can't tell in words how much fun it is to talk and socialize with my adult son. We can agree, disagree, debate, laugh, etc. while enjoying a margarita and nachos. I LOVE MY KID, and I do love that he is out of the house.

You moms with little ones-- life with your precious babies does go fast, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy them when they move out too! No one ever told me that.

SIGH.


2 comments:

  1. By loving your boys so thoroughly and being so creative with them, you may have captured some lives potentially lost. I recall your telling me your oldest had penetrance for (some features of) high-functioning autism, and look at what a glorious time you just recounted socially. Temple Grandin might have been right that her mother's tough and rehabilitative caring for her yielded the difference between autism and Asperber's, except that with your sons perhaps the improvement due to care has been even greater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Linda. Your words means very much to me. You know most of the HIGHS and LOWS that have been on this journey. I attribute much of my boys' successes to my simply being stubborn and refusing to accept the doctors' prognosis. Of course, my husband has been with me. Plus, what reasonable mother wouldn't sacrifice everything for the success of her children. However, the strength for that constant sacrifice doesn't come from me, but by grace.

    ReplyDelete