Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

I'm BACK

Ok, so it's been a really long time since I've written. I have to admit I was so burned out from working in the spring and home schooling in the summer that something just had to give. The blog lost.

NOW, I have so much to write. The boys are in school. I'm home schooling a weird schedule. My second oldest is in college; well, he's still here, but he's taking college courses online.

We've weathered minimal income, our oldest son's unemployment, summer, college registration, high school registration, junior high, and elementary. Good grief, I have a kid in all levels of school.

We have also experienced some social accomplishments. My boys with autism have been asked out by peers a few times. Nothing monumental, yet incredibly so. For those of you with kids with autism, you can understand that statement.

Overall, life is good. I totally love my family!

1 comment:

  1. An invite from a peer is HUGE! I'm still waiting for that day. In the mean time I will keep trying to help my son initiate social contact - so far we are not very successful...

    ReplyDelete