Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Is Chelation Working?


We started chelation on June 28, 2011. There are different methods to chelate: sprays, pills,and IVs. The IVS are the most expensive, but they are also most efficient, getting into the deeper tissue quicker. We chose this method because we wanted to get as much of the toxins out as we could during summer. Also, if there were any side effects, we'd be able to monitor the kids 24/7. The office staff assured us that there was nothing to worry about. I smiled, but I screamed in my head, "THESE ARE MY KIDS. There's plenty to worry about, like their well-being!!!"

This was to be the first of four IVs given. We spend two weeks building the boys' systems with probiotics and vitamins as well as getting rid of the yeast in their digestive tract.

Here is a brief description as to their behaviors after the initial IVS:

June 28, 2011
Overall, I'm encouraged. The boys are acting normally. No aches, pains, behavioral issues, etc. Initially, their arms hurt. They all consumed a ton of water yesterday and today. They feel fine. I am relieved. The nurse said that if there were any negative reaction, it'd be fairly immediate. All is well. Cameron has swelling at the injection site, but ice will take care of it.

July 3, 2011
As far as Ryan and N goick, they had headaches for a few hours the day after. Cam and Stuart had no headache. It's been 5 days, and I'd never guess that they underwent a procedure. So far so good, ie no behavior issues or serious physical ailments.

July 8, 2011
Today I told the boys we were going to visit a family. The boys protested as they don't like to socialize much. I told them that we'd stay for 30 minutes. We ended up staying 2 hours plus. After the initial ten minutes of discomfort, things started clicking. Ryan talked with a girl. Nick and Cam had fun with the rest of the gang in the pool. When visiting people that the boys don't know, they are usually isolated. Nick is quiet, and Ryan is stoic. Today they were having fun WITH peers. I didn't know my own kids. They are talking!!!

It's just mind boggling. I'm not sure what to expect with each day/visit, but I am encouraged so far!

photo credit: nukeit1 from flickr












No comments:

Post a Comment