Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Overwhelmed: Understatement Part 2


In part 1 I outlined what my husband and I did to treat our autistic boys. Many years have passed since their diagnosis, and we still find ourselves researching potential therapies and treatments. Our boys have progressed to a point that many think that their autism is mild. I suppose that is good. However, my boys have autism, full blown autism. It is not mild. Their minds still function as autistic. They have learned how to regulate themselves in public. As a family, WE have undergone many therapies. Some are "normal". Some are "alternative". The point is that our boys have progressed, but not due to any ONE treatment. We also continue to hope for more progress; thus, the search continues.

Over the summer we decided to chelate. This has been nine years in the works. We first started testing for toxins that long ago. I was startled when the results included arsenic, mercury, lead, aluminum, titanium, and uranium. There were many more metals, but THOSE metals registered. I knew from my biology and physiology classes in high school that it was not good for those metals to be in a human body.

ARSENIC? I feared the police coming to my door to haul me off for poisoning my kids. Where was arsenic coming from? Where was any of it? We had moved into a new house just a year prior. The schools were also newly built. It was really hard to comprehend, and now we were told that those metals needed to come out.

Chelation. I had never heard of it. In fact, I tried to research keylation, as I didn't even know how to spell it. Very frustrating. Once I found the word, I didn't like what I found. Research showed me a very controversial, dangerous protocol. Liver and kidney damage. Death. Just a few concerns.

As the years have passed, new methods for chelation have been developed. We have continued to test and monitor the toxins in our boys as well. This past set of tests indicated high levels of lead, arsenic, and cadmium in all of our boys. We trusted out doctor's recommendation to chelate as we have done everything else, and the boys' bodies have not been able to eliminate the toxins. Unfortunately, this is also very costly.

We chose to do the IVs, rather than pills or sprays. Over several weeks the boys have received the IVs. I have kept a log of notes, but I am still waiting to see vast improvements. I'm still holding judgment.

photo credit:Mykl Roventine

3 comments:

  1. I have wondered about this, Sheryl. If you don't mind my asking, how much does it cost? And I will look forward to hearing whether you do find that it helps. ( On "House" it seems like chelation is often the magic bullet that solves their patient's problems!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila, I sent you a private email about the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cost of chelation depends on the method chosen. There are pills, sprays, and IVS. The IVS are the most expensive, but they are also most efficient, getting into the deeper tissue quicker. We chose this method because we wanted to get as much out as we could during summer.

    ReplyDelete