Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Eating Healthy: Making My Own Vanilla Extract

Vanilla Beans
I can't buy vanilla extract without it having some sort of junk in it. Since I bake all the breads, cakes, etc from scratch, we go through a ton of vanilla. Consequently, I purchased vanilla beans a couple weeks ago.  The aroma from the beans was heaven scent.  Yes, pun intended, scent vs sent.  Dry humor...

Anyways, since I don't know much about hard liquor, I asked several people what kind of alcohol to soak the beans in. I received quite an array of suggestions, such as vodka, brandy, rum, and bourbon. My cousin recommended bourbon since it "inherently has vanilla notes."  He also said that brandy might be heavy, but might work as would a light rum.  That contrasts with my mother in law who said that brandy would be more mellow.  Most everyone agreed vodka is tasteless, so it would remain neutral.  I'd love to try all the suggestions.  I have enough vanilla beans.  However, the cost of liquor is a bit pricy for my checking account!

I ended up purchasing vodka and bourbon. I cut up the equivalent of 3 beans in inch sections per 1 cup of alcohol. Sealed bottles. Shook them. Placed in a dark closet. 

Will revisit them next Sun to shake again. Now we wait... some say 2 months, others say 6 months. I hope by Christmas season, I'll have some savory vanilla of my own. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment