Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Autism and Music: Part IV The Rewards

Mike and I playing Alpine Snowfall
One of my favorite parts of school was missing class.  In grade school and high school I played for the choir.  Whenever we had field trips or extra practices, I thoroughly enjoyed missing my regular classes--thanks to being able to play the piano.

I also liked getting paid.  When I was 11 or 12, I played for my first wedding and funeral.  The organists didn't show up, and I volunteered (or was volunteered via my dad) to fill in.  I was surprised to get $25.  That was a lot of money back then.  It sure beat babysitting too!

Another great moment was when my oldest son, Mike, and I played a duet.  It was called Alpine Snowfall.  We played it many times that year--many recitals as well as for our own enjoyment.  Mike was 16.  I never thought I'd hear him ask me to practice WITH him.  We had a blast!

When Mike was 21, he thanked me for pushing him on the piano.  He is now 28 and owns his own piano.  He plays for his daughter.  That is success!

Nick before performing at a band concert
My other boys may not admit it, but they have experienced some great rewards due to their music and piano background.  ALL of them have played a second instrument.  Some of them play even a third or more.  Instruments include violin, trumpet, clarinet, sax, and several percussion instruments.

Stuart has pursued music to the collegiate level.  He earned a few scholarships.    Ryan has taught piano to several little kids over the summer.  Nick is in his sixth year in band in the school.  Cameron just finished two years of trumpet lessons.

There have been so many benefits of music and piano for my boys.  I love taking them to concerts.  Over the summer we enjoyed a concert tribute to Billy Joel and Elton John.  The boys were thoroughly entertained.  A concert we recently attended was by a male pianist/composer, but his music was very different than rock.  His music was classical.  All the boys liked it.  Nick insisted that I buy two CDs.  I asked, "Why?"  He simply replied, "I don't want to share."

I hope that my sons will continue to play throughout their lives.  There is no end to what music can do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment