Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Monday, December 16, 2013

Lessons With My Granddaughter

Last Saturday, I spent some time with my granddaughter.  She was diagnosed with autism when she was three, and I was curious to see how she was progressing.  We decided to hang out at a coffee shop.  At first she was quiet.  I asked her simple questions. She responded with one word answers. Typical for a youngling with autism.

We decided to go Christmas shopping for her mom and dad.  I asked her specifically what she might want to give to her parents.  After some thought, she replied, "Nail polish for Mom, and a I-pad for Dad." The I-pad was out of my budget, but with the idea of nail polish, we started shopping.

I asked her if she knew where we would find nail polish.  I realized that I had no idea where to begin to search.  My darling little granddaughter took charge.  She was hysterical.  "Come on, Grandma.  This way."  It became obvious that my granddaughter was not too sure where to go either, but we admired a myriad of delightful objects as we walked.

We actually wondered through several aisles before finding the right place.  She acknowledged, "Hair stuff."  She slowed her pace to look at the barrettes, combs, and headbands.  I inquired, "Do you like this stuff?"  She looked at me like I was from outer space.  Her response, "Yes.  Of course!"  She began a dissertation on what the items were.

I was surprised at how many different things there were to adorn hair.  My granddaughter touched every item she could reach.  Some were sparkly; others flowery.  We slowly made our way to the nail polish aisle.  Again, I was surprised at the variety of brands, let alone colors.  I just don't have time to pursue hair and nail paraphernalia.

My lack of knowledge bugged my granddaughter.  She gave me lessons in "girl stuff". In her words, "REALLY, Grandma!! (Sigh.) This IS what girls like. Sheesh."  I laughed.  I didn't know this "stuff" could be fun.  She picked out one color for her mom, and off we went.

So I need to continue my lessons with my granddaughter.   SHE is what made this lesson FUN.

1 comment:

  1. What? You mean raising 5 boys didn't give you time to check out nail polish and hair accessories? How fun!

    ReplyDelete