Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Thursday, December 26, 2013

On The Second Day Of Christmas

We went shopping for some new items for the Christmas Tree.  We also purchased wrapping paper and Christmas cards.  Why now?  I like the 50% discount off the regular purchase price of these items!!  I usually send out cards after Christmas, and I'll use the solid color wrapping paper throughout the year.

We started celebrating the 12 Days of Christmas several years ago for many reasons.  I've blogged the whys and wherefores in years past.  I will reiterate the main reason here:  it is much easier for kids with autism to handle.  Less is more.  The less to process, the more enjoyable for all of us.

We stretch out the gifts and activities for 12 days.  That might sound expensive, but it really isn't.  We have a box for each day, and the gift is for the entire family.  For the next two weeks, we'll spend more time together.  The gifts are usually simple, but a few might be extravagant.  They always focus on family.

Best way to spend our effort, time, and money:  family!

No comments:

Post a Comment