Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Teamwork--Getting Along

Nick, Ryan, Cam working on a crossword puzzle
Although the younger boys all have autism, they are extremely different.  They have their own strengths and weaknesses, just like everyone else.  Together, they create an invincible team.

One of the life skills we have been working on is team work.  There is not much in this world that doesn't require working with someone else.  Whether it's going to the grocery store to buy food or see the doctor in his office, effectively communicating with others is simply a necessity.  Hence, teamwork.  If my sons can work together to solve a problem or finish a project, they can accomplish whatever they wish!

Not an easy task when teens with autism don't like to talk.  OR when one likes to talk a lot.  OR when one wants to talk but can't quite articulate his idea.  Each one of these ideas represents one of my sons.

I don't let them quit.  That is critical.  They finish what they start.

It helps when the project is dinner.  If they finish, they get to eat!!  An empty stomach is a great incentive.

No comments:

Post a Comment