Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Monday, February 24, 2014

I Hate Report Cards

Looking at my youngest son's grades, I am amazed at how my attitude toward grades has changed.

I relied on those trusty A's and B's with my oldest son.  Throughout elementary and junior high, Michael brought home As sprinkled with Bs.  Then came high school.  My son went from Valedictorian to schlep, a GPA from 4.3 to 1.78 roughly.  He got lazy, but I still demanded A's and B's from him, which he slowly produced.  I thought that as long as As and Bs came home, my son was learning and progressing as he should.

Not true, but I would not learn that until he was out of school.  I'd learn with my special needs kids years later.

"Do you want competitive grades or not?" asked the school psychologist. I didn't understand the difference.  The explanation equated to competitive grades are comparable to classmates on the same grading scale.  Otherwise, the teachers would give a grade based on the skill of my child.  Still not sure I understood the difference because there was no definition of what would that grading scale be?

Then there was the idea that report cards could hurt the self esteem of kids, so the school changed the grading scale from letter grades to number.  A "1" was low, and a "4" was high.  So kids just made a chart that 1 = F up to 4 = A.  Yeah, that solved the self esteem issue.  NOT.  My kids knew they didn't want 1s.

I learned to ignore the grades eventually as I was more interested in what my kids could tell me.  I wanted my kids to learn. We soon found that my sons could remember facts and stories from years prior as they told us these.  I realized that my sons could not relay information in the format that teachers wanted, expected, or accepted.  Hence, report cards and grades did not indicate their true mastery of skills and knowledge.

I take report cards now as one simple indicator of how my sons are doing.  Standardized tests take even a lower priority.

I value the results when my sons can tell me about history when a subject comes up.  I love when they laugh and tell me I am doing the math wrong.  I get pleasantly annoyed when they say, "Don't you remember when we read that?"

They demonstrate solid knowledge of many subjects through daily tasks and conversations.  That is better than any report card.

No comments:

Post a Comment