Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

It's Japanese To Me

Ryan and Jennifer, his Japanese teacher
For so many years I have had to figure out how to teach "normal" tasks to my boys.  My boys can do most of the normal chores expected from teenagers now.  As they have mastered tasks, of course, new goals are set.  To make life easier for me, I've encouraged the boys to pursue interests or classes that I had some background or experience.  Therefore, I could help them if necessary.  As the boys grow up, they are expanding their horizons, beyond MY comfort zone.  I can't help them, and that is a good thing.

Ryan has developed an interest in Japanese. His interest has grown to include many aspects of Japanese culture.  I find myself listening to Japanese music. I dodge a swinging katana, a traditional Japanese sword, if I enter Ryan's room.  He's taken lessons to learn to speak the language.  He's totally independent of me in this endeavor.  I can't help him figure out anything if he's confused.  So he has to think for himself.  Not a bad thing by any means.  But I have to stop myself from trying to help him.  So many years of MY programming as a mom with special needs kids have to be undone, or re-programmed.

My role of MOM continues to change as these young men with autism continue to progress toward independent life!

1 comment:

  1. The same thing happened with us once Robert got older. We would get him started on something of interest to him, then he would always progress beyond our knowledge or abilities in short order. It is an honor to watch their skills unfold!

    ReplyDelete