Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Autism and Music: Another Door Opens - Part I

Cam, Ryan, Nick after a recital
The apple doesn't fall very far from the tree.  I grew up playing the piano.  I never had a choice, and now I teach piano.  Rather ironic.  I hated practicing daily, and now I ask my students to do exactly that.  My boys are no exception.  I am mom.  I am also piano teacher.  They would rather not practice.  They can think of so many other things to do.

Bummer.

I remember the day I met my piano teacher.  My dad whistled, and my siblings and I fell in line from oldest to youngest.  If you've seen the musical, The Sound of Music, you know what I'm talking about.  My dad introduced this lady to us.  "Her name is Miss Sherry. She is your piano teacher.  Who is going first?"  My siblings and I looked at each other, wondering who wanted this.  No one answered.  My dad answered his own question then, "Oldest to youngest."  So started years of piano lessons, practice sessions, and recitals.

Over the years I grew to like the instrument, especially when I was able to play music of my own choice.  Music opened doors for me.  At a very young age I was performing and playing for people.  Whether I was playing at church or in school, I played the piano.  Sometimes I'd play for friends if requested.  I accompanied a few opera singers and other musicians.  I met close friends via music.  Little did I know this would become a way to communicate with my children with autism.  Looking back, I see I related to many people from all walks of life through music.

Teaching music was my first job.  At the ripe age of 14 I started teaching.  Of course, I became serious and earned my certification when I turned 30.  Teaching music has allowed me to stay home and be with my boys.  If there is ever a need at school or therapy, I am able to go immediately.  I can attend their dietary needs.

Music is also a therapy of sorts for me.  I can play Beethoven if I need to let off steam.  I can play Beatles or Queen to have fun.  Playing movie themes relieves stress.  I can have a few minutes of freedom. 

When the boys were young, they were never far away. They'd dance. They'd climb on my lap and play the piano via the "bang" method.  I'd let them plop their hands of the ivories, and their faces would light up on the sound they created.  Being around the piano was a way for us to connect when the boys couldn't talk.  We could smile and have fun simply by playing "sounds".  It didn't have to be music, per say.  Just sitting together and pushing the keys.  We had a good time.

Now the boys all play on their own.  They play and perform.  Teenage boys with autism can and do!

How do I get them to do that?  That will be Part II.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Sheryl. There seems to me to be a growing number of students exhibiting signs and symptoms of the autism spectrum. I have children that have been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome and children that have been diagnosed with autism among my private guitar students and public school general music students. I have no idea why I am seeing a growing number but I am glad to see these children in music. The information you share in your blog is so helpful. I like your quote, “The first thing I don’t do is insist that the lesson always be at the piano.” Today’s teaching situations are not as “normal” as they use to be. “Normal” has become different and exciting. Educators must “think outside the box.” Also, the “…sense of accomplishment” is so important to all of us for learning. This is a subject that all educators need to learn more about. Thank you for sharing. Rod Hendrix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sheryl Johnson for posting this. I did not know that your sons are diagnosed with autism. My son is in autistic spectrum and as much as I was worried when we heard the diagnoses I am more and more persuaded with him growing up those kids with some kind of autism are such amazing addition to our "average" world. They are so interesting, smart, unpredictable, and full of fun and excitement. I cannot imagine having a different child on my own than my son Dmitri. As for teaching them, I think we just have to find a way that works the best as we have to do anyway with all the other students. Each student, regardless of autism or not is different and they all need a "special" approach. Gifted and less gifted, intelligent or somewhat slow, energetic or lethargic, they should all enjoy music and we should help them. When I had my first baby and she would not go to sleep as I "planned" my mom would tell me: "You have to do the way the baby wants and not the way you want her to do". Same with piano - have your main approach but modify it towards each student in a way they will like it and that will bring some results. And as Rod Hendrix said educators must “think outside the box.” That is what makes our job creative and beautiful.
    Radmila Stojanovic Kiriluk

    ReplyDelete