Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Autism: Understanding How To Vote

Two weeks ago was the presidential election.  This was Ryan's first major election to vote.  We decided to do it together.  This decision was based on previous experience!

In late August Ryan voted for the first time.  By mail.  He expressed that he wanted to vote without help.  OK.  So Mike and I presented the sample ballot, the pamphlets describing the local issues and candidates.  We both emphasized to Ryan that he needed to take his time reading and understanding all the information. , We showed him how to cast his vote on the ballot.  We instructed him to fold the ballot, and then sign and seal the envelope.

Within a few days, his ballot was ready to mail, and he did so.  I was impressed that Ryan took on the whole process.  He had asked a few questions, but he made a very clear point:  he wanted to be independent in his voting.  OK.

The day after the small election we received a ballot addressed to Ryan.  I was confused.  Why was he receiving a ballot after the election?  Then it hit me.  He must have checked "the box" which indicates that the ballot was no good, that he made a mistake.  When Ryan arrived home, I asked him if he had made a mistake on his ballot.  No.  I asked if he put an X in the box on the outside of the envelope.  Yes.

So much for his independent vote.  It was not going to count this time!

I explained to Ryan (again) what that box was for.  He said he understood.  I asked then why he checked it.  He thought he had to because it said to do so.  (Check box...)  This is classic.  He understood the concept, but it didn't carry over to application.

Consequently, we went through the voting process together.  Ryan was free to vote as he saw fit, but Mike and I explained each office, each proposition, each candidate.  When Ryan was done voting, we watched him put his ballot in the envelope, seal it, and sign it.  AND NO checking the box!  This time his vote did count.

Nothing like learning from experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment