Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Husband's Birthday, But Who Is He?

Mike
Today is Mike's birthday.  I have known him for 24 years.  We met at the hospital where we worked.  We kept it quiet from most people.  The hospital grapevine was better, faster, more efficient than the twitter of today.  When I first met Mike, he always had a smile on his face.  No matter what he was doing, his smile beamed.  That's probably what drew me to him.  I like being around happy people.

Then there were Sam and Evelyn.  They were an older couple who volunteered at the hospital.  Although they were in their 80s, they were active, sharp, and witty.  Very astute and wise too.  Not much could pass their eyes as they sat at the front desk to greet visitors.  Even the people who would try to sneak in stuff to patients' rooms.  These two volunteers would gently, but firmly remind these people the rules of the hospital and the safety of their loved ones.

Mike with his sister Dana
I am not sure when Sam and Evelyn figured out there was "something about Mike and Sheryl", but figure it out they did!

Sam and Evelyn let me know exactly what they thought of Mike.  I couldn't pass their desk without hearing something about Mike.  Every time they talked about Mike, it was high praise.  "He is a quiet, hard working, clean cut young man.  He will take good care of you."

One time Sam scared me.  He grabbed my arm, and said he had to talk with me.  I thought there was trouble, but Sam just wanted to tell me how Mike helped him.  Sam ended with, "You have a good man."

Then there was Kim.  Kim was the person who knew every problem in the world.  If there was some negative vibe, she would "share" with everyone how wrong it was.  Kim, sadly, lived in a pessimistic world.  Nonetheless, when Kim told me about Mike, there was NOTHING bad she could say about him.  She assured me, "If there were something wrong with him, I'd let you know."  What a testimony!

Of course, there were others who voiced their opinions about Mike.  Most of it is positive. The only people who would say something negative about my husband are those who do not value honor, truth, family, etc.

Mike has been a great spouse.  I can't imagine what he thinks when I lose my temper or when I get frustrated dealing with aspects of autism.  He listens and guides me.  He encourages me to take time away when needed--something I never dreamed of doing until 18 months ago.  Mike has been the source of peace and strength for me.  Going through life with him has been a great joy.  Even with autism.

I am glad my boys have such a wonderful example!  Even though it is Mike's birthday, he has given us the gift of his love and life.


No comments:

Post a Comment