Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Autism and Grandparents: Inspiration

Grandma Lucia
I've often been asked how I constantly keep up with the demands of my life, especially with teens with autism.  My answer always includes prayer, supportive spouse, wonderful family and friends, etc.  However, there is one person who has inspired me before I ever heard of the word "autism".

My grandmother, Lucia.

She was an immigrant from Holland in 1912.  She was eight.  Her father had also moved to the USA a year prior to get established.  Then came the family via ship. The Titanic had sunk before their voyage, so that thought was constantly on her mind.  She was very happy when they docked.

She went to school, worked as a translator, and met my grandfather.  Their first date was a Fourth of July picnic at church.  They married.  She gave birth to ten children.  Ten boys at that.  No girls.  She told me stories of her boys.  Those stories don't always match my uncles' versions.  One uncle just smiled when I told him Grandma's version.  He just smiled.  Makes me wonder what really happened.

Grandma told me stories of her youth. Some were wonderful.  Others, not so much.  She emphasized a strong spirit persists.

As issues and conflicts arise with my boys, I often think of my grandma.  How did she muster the strength to keep going?  How many prayers did she say?  I have half as many boys, and quite often I am at a loss--emotionally, physically, etc.  Somehow my grandmother managed.

One of my last memories of my grandparents together was in their room.  They had chairs next to each other.  In the background were the pictures of their ten boys.  My grandparents sat next to each other.  They held hands.  They looked at each other.  They smiled.  My grandmother looked at me.  She winked and nodded her head at me.

Many years have passed.  I can still see her wink and nod.  She still encourages me.



No comments:

Post a Comment