Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Joining The Workforce--Again

Yep.  I am working full time again.  Life with autism isn't cheap.  Therapies, foods, doctors, supplements, etc. are expensive.  Insurance doesn't cover a lot of what we do.  However, the boys have thrived best with what insurance doesn't pay.  Figure that one!

SO the saving account is depleted.  The credit card balances are climbing.  A financial adviser would think that we are insane.  Nonetheless, Mike and I agreed long ago that we'd do whatever we could for our boys--to help them learn to be independent.  Money would not be an object.  Our boys are priceless!

The most expensive  item we ever purchased for the boys was the pool.  The doctors and therapists all agreed that a pool would be the best therapy for the boys.  We were not disappointed.  The boys learned to swim.  They played and socialized. They received their physical therapy in the pool for a few years. Now they hang out in the pool.

Getting back to work--I've been working at the same place for about six years.  It is seasonal, temporary, full time work. It's good to exercise my brain. I work on projects.  This current project is scheduled for five weeks.  I have worked here long enough to make friends.  The "regulars" are like a family.  Of course, as in all work places, some people are more important than others.  It is good to connect with these people.

Last year I had the opportunity to work from home.  It was great.  It was bad.  I loved being able to work at my leisure.  I actually took off to the beach last year, and I was able to work at coffee house, at the beach, or at any quiet place I chose.  The bad part was having to discipline myself to follow a work schedule--even if it was the schedule that I set.
 
After this project, I'll be able to pay off a credit card.  That is the upside.  The downside is life is more chaotic, but that is good for the boys.  They are learning to do things on their own.  I am always surprised as to what they have done.  Or not done.  I am not saying the surprise is always good, but yes, I am always "surprised".  HAHAHA  A good, no-- a great sense of humor helps in this realm.

Yes, I do look forward to payday!

No comments:

Post a Comment