Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Autism and Interviews: Mindboggling!



Ryan with new shades--after the interview

Ryan had an interview today for a college scholarship.  He dressed up and arrived well before his appointed time.  Since the person scheduled before him didn’t show up, Ryan went early.  I think that was a blessing.  Less time to get nervous.

I prayed Ryan would talk.  Nothing like being in an interview when the applicant won’t talk!  My imagination cringed.  What was happening in there?  I worried about stupid questions that weren’t questions, like, “Tell us about yourself.”  Ryan can answer questions with no problem, but talk about generalities or relay a bunch of information?  Not so much.

Since I drove Ryan to the interview, I waited on a bench not too far away.  I tried to distract myself by reading.  I read a page.  Then reread it.  On the third go-round, Ryan plopped next to me.  Maybe ten minutes had passed.

I asked if it was done.  He replied casually, “Yep.”  I didn’t want to make too big a deal of this, but I was so curious.  Keeping in mind that this was probably mentally exhausting for Ryan, I asked one more question, “Did you talk?”  His response, “Yep.”

Now we wait for the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment