Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Autism Humor

I noticed a while back that Ryan had a difficult time filling forms.  He can do the basic name, address, and phone number.  However, many forms want the information above or below the line.  With job and college applications, medical and insurance forms, etc, it can be really confusing! 

So I've been teaching Ryan how to fill out forms.  Today's form was a fundraising order form for Cam's little league team. Ryan did well with the form.  Onward we went.  Since this was a fundraiser, I had to pay for the items.  Hmmm.  The check presented another form.

Ryan felt confident.  Ryan filled out the amount and the date on the check.  He then looked to me.  Who was to receive the check?   I told him to look on the order form to find out who to make it payable to.  On the form it said, "Make Checks Payable To The Organization Benefitting From The Fundraiser."

Guess who the check is made payable to?

Yeah, The Organization Benefitting...

Well, that's if he didn't ask.  I saw that Ryan was only seeing the literal meaning of the words, not the figurative meaning.  Once I explained it, Ryan filled out the check correctly.

Lesson of the story:  Never assume!

No comments:

Post a Comment