Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Today's Gem

My 17 year old son asked me a simple question this morning, "Mom, since I've been working so hard this week, could we go get some coffee?"  (Do know that, when the boys want to go out, the boys pay their own way.)

Phrased that way, it was difficult to say no.  In fact, I agreed.  "Let's go," I responded.

When we arrived at the coffee shop, Nick was ready to order.  He paused, and turned around.  He looked at me with a slight hesitation.  Then he blurted out, just so I could hear it, "I want to save my money and use yours."

I started laughing, but I realized we were holding up the line.  It was not the moment to discuss anything, which I knew Nick would want to point out his logic.  Quickly, we ordered, and I paid for the drinks.

When we sat down, I explained to Nick that yes, he has worked hard this week, as always.  However, that does not entitle him to use my money.  (Yet, I did pay.)  I told him that he will owe me the money when we get home.  And yes, he did pay me back, with a silly grin on his face.

It was just a funny moment.

He understands the concept of saving money, but it's ok to spend Mom's money instead.  Or maybe there is more underlying his creative thought process.  Sly.  Very sly...  In either case, he made my day.

So many people believe that teens with autism don't think outside the box.  Well, they do!

No comments:

Post a Comment