Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Friday, October 25, 2013

The Path After Graduation Began...


The first step to getting Ryan on "a path" was to tell him that he can't stay in our house and do nothing. This was in response to a comment he made a couple summers ago about wanting to be independent without responsibility. That is just not going to happen.

Mike and I told Ryan that he needs to make some goals, and he needs to be doing something constructive.  Otherwise, I am going to continue “strongly guiding” him on what to do--or arrange for him to be doing things—which may not be to his liking. Our focus is to find a trade or career path that "zing" that Ryan will enjoy and can be financially independent.

Ryan's big priority is his book, so I have tried to relate everything and anything towards that. Currently, Ryan is taking introductory computer classes at the local community college.  The reasons for these classes are twofold:  to see if Ryan can handle collegiate level classes and to help develop computer skills for potential employment.

I’m taking these classes simultaneously with Ryan.  We don’t sit next to each other; keeping our mutual independence is vital.  However, Ryan is enjoying the experience of tutoring me.  He has called me “entertaining” a few times, because I just “don’t get it”.  Obviously, he “gets it” with ease.

The photo finishing class is an attempt to open a door to a trade. I wrote how this came about in an earlier blog entry.  This class will offer an opportunity to Ryan if he wants to illustrate his book in the future. The teachers were impressed with his computer skills, so they think he'll learn the material quickly.

Ryan is also on this kick of anything related to Japan.  He likes the antiquity and culture.  An former coworker of mine used to live in Japan. She is teaching him--very much home schooling style.

Within the last several weeks, Ryan has committed to writing five pages a day for his book. That is a chapter a week. He is really proud of maintaining that, and we encourage it.  We push the other items too. 

Always trying to keep a balance!

No comments:

Post a Comment