Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Good Lord, Really??


Really?  I look at the sky as I sigh.  This time I say it aloud, "Really?"

Yes, I'm asking the Good Lord if this is what he wants me to face.  Like I can really do this.  I am not trained in this.  I don't know what I am doing.  No map.  No guide.  No manual.

"This" in the last paragraph could be anything.  It could be autism, government agencies, doctors, etc.  So many aspects of autism and teenagers emerge, and I have no idea where to even begin.

I don't like guessing.  I'd rather know what needs to be done and just do it. I like to see end results.  I also don't mind if someone else sees the finished product and gives me a "thumbs up".  I will listen to the "thumbs down", but I prefer the former option.

With autism, there is no finish line.  Tis always a work in progress.  And these are boys, actually, young men now.  Not some project or task.  There are no days off.  Always going.  Always something.

I've told some friends that I really think God has mixed me up with someone who can handle this life I lead.  I'm just waiting for this person to show up.  Anyways, my friends and I laugh.  I think we all can feel that way.  Some aspects of life are simply bigger than we are, and we don't have all the answers.

We just keep pluggin' along.  And I ask the Good Lord for guidance.

photo credit:  Phillip F Chavez, PhD  http://masculinespirituality.com/site/

No comments:

Post a Comment