Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Surgery Is Scheduled And Now--

My upcoming surgery is scheduled for early December.  Just in time for the holidays!!  "Tis the most wonderful time of the year," I think--sarcastically.  I could run a ton of songs in a very satirical story, aka sarcastic drone, but I need to be positive.

I have much to do before December.  Thanksgiving is around the corner, but I have already finished the required necessities for that holiday.  December is a different ball game.  I have to make arrangements for regular events as well as items pertaining to the Christmas season.

To start the preparations, Ryan and I went Christmas shopping today.  We went to a bookstore, as requested by Ryan.  Then we walked the local mall. We were searching for an item that we were told was only in a store that I abhor. 

Ryan and I walked in.  Ryan was not comfortable.  We hurried through the store, unable to find the item.  Ryan suggested that we'd get out faster if we asked someone.  Just at that moment, the sales clerk greeted us with a smile.  She was human.  She inquired, "Are you looking for something special?"  Something special in this store was an understatement.

"Yes," I replied.  "I am looking for..."  (Can't spill the beans here.)

Her smile brightened.  "We not only have that, but we have this!"*

*"That" and "this" have been substituted to protect the unknown.

So I bought the "this" and "that".  Since the store had a "buy one get one half off" sale, I asked Ryan if he wanted a shirt with a logo he liked.

"No," he blurted out.

I looked at him with a question.  He gazed back at me, saying, "I have enough things in my room.  I don't need anything."  It was a simple, straightforward answer.  Very typical of teenager with autism.

As we left the store, he smiled.   He was right.  We found the item faster by asking.  I knew why he was smiling--because Mom was the one who didn't want to talk this time.

Funny how we all have our comfort zones.  Funny how life pushes us out of those zones, and we become better for it.  Ryan taught Mom the lesson today.

No comments:

Post a Comment