Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Autistic Children and Socialization = Mental Marathon

Socializing for autistic children is a mental marathon. Think about running a marathon. You would train for several months, doing different types of training, like weight training and endurance training. After each session, you're tired, or you should be if you have put forth 100% effort.

The same can be said for autistic kids and social situations. It demands so much effort and concentration that they can be mentally and physically tired. Think about what happens in a typical conversation between two people, such as eye contact, tone, gestures, and inflections. Then include the actual words being stated. Now think about what those two people have to tune out, such as outside noise and activities, distracting smells, and flickering or bright lights.

Neuro-typical or NT people do all this without thinking out it. Autistic children do not, and they have to be taught. It's one step at a time. Add to the above scenario the fact that autistic children then have to process what was actually said, think of the response, and then articulate that response. If your child is like mine, he thinks in pictures. So now we're talking about all of those steps above AND having to translate the words into pictures that he can understand. He then has to think of a response in pictures and translate those pictures into words.

Those brain cells are firing like crazy. Mental marathon.

Two years ago my Nick literally complained about his heart pumping so fast. He had talked to a peer for 10 minutes. He was exhausted, both physically and mentally. There is so much concentration and anxiety is social encounters, that it is bound to take a toll of some sort on these kids.

Onto Jacob and Meredith's question about Andrew and Ryan (their sons Andrew and Ryan), which pertained to Andrew only socializing during school and not having play dates, and his brother Ryan has play dates frequently. Should Mom push to arrange social activities? (To see the actual question, go see the first comment under Dec. 17, 2009 blog entry.) First, I would recommend to see your two sons as totally different individuals with different talents and skills. Their strengths and weaknesses will differ, no matter if they both have autism or not. Second, I would push Andrew's comfort zone, but slowly and in "baby steps". Only you will be able to gage what that exactly means as you (parents) alone are the experts on your child. Maybe schedule an outing on a Saturday for 15- 30 minutes at a park. Physical activity takes a lot of stress of a social situation because the kids can engage in the same activity, maybe even side-by-side, without having to feel forced to talk.

When it came to my children, I asked the teachers to recommend students who might be a good "guide" for my kids. The teacher usually volunteered to talk with the parents about my kids and trying to set a play date. I then arranged to meet in a neutral place for a very short time. I found a neutral place was important so my kids couldn't hide. The place also didn't have known "triggers" such as a dog, cat, or smoke.

Most importantly, no matter how a social encounter ends, always praise your child for trying.


photo credit:bradleypjohnson

2 comments:

  1. I love the comparison to a mental marathon! Its so true! Yesterday I arranged a play date for my son (with his approval) and he had to take several "breaks" to be alone. Apparently, he needed time to recoup. Fortunately, the friend was not bothered by this at all.
    I'm still learning to distinguish MY desires for my son's social interaction from HIS desires for it. There are times when I discover that I am placing my personal expectations on him and I have to take a step back.
    I used to worry a great deal about my son's social well-being in his teen years. How will he do? Will he be accepted? Will he feel utterly alone? Then I met a 15 year old girl with autism who was encircled by a group of "typically developing" friends. They loved her quirks, defended her at school, and I watched this young woman blossom. She had mutually fulfilling friendships! She graduates from high school in May and has found her niche. It has been a beautiful experience to witness. I am now more hopeful for what the future holds for my son...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of prayer; hope; and constant work to push them to their potential. A mom's work is never done, especially with an autistic child. Your desires are for him to do his best. EVERY reasonable mom has this inbred in her. Your worries are normal. Yes, step back and appreciate what he can do. Think of the next step--baby steps, but steps, none-the-less. YOU are the expert when it comes to your child. Trust your instincts. And ask questions whenever possible. There is no right or wrong, unless you do NOTHING!

    ReplyDelete