Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Marriage and Autism: It Is About Acceptance


A few weeks ago good friends of ours announced that they were getting a divorce. This news hit me hard. We've known them for years, and they seemed happy... This prompted me to ask my husband about his thoughts about their divorce. "Marriage is about acceptance, not compromise," Mike simply stated. "Compromise leads to giving in; consequently, negative feelings begin. Resentment grows until someone breaks."


Hold that thought.

There are conflicting ideas about divorce and married couples dealing with autistic children. When our boys were first diagnosed eight years ago, I read an article on that topic. It seemed that the divorce rate was about 52% if there was one autistic child in the family. That rate rose to about 90% if there were two autistic children. I stopped reading before I saw the divorce rate for a family with three or more autistic children. I did not want to know. At that time we had three autistic boys.

Back to that thought.

About five months ago a situation presented itself that would change our boys' daily schedule. After much discussion, I could see advantages and disadvantages to this new situation. I totally respected my husband's insight. I did not completely agree with him, but I was willing to try.

Compromise or acceptance? Not sure yet.

That new situation is now over, but not without some weariness along the way. WHEW. Upon reflection, one of our autistic sons is thriving in a way that I could not imagine. Nick has connected socially with more people, and that is not bad for him. Had we kept to our original schedule, he would not have developed these skills as quickly. There were definitely negative aspects, but I think that these social skills will outweigh any negativity in the long run.

I have to admit that I had compromised. Could I have ever accepted that new situation? I don't know. At this point, I don't think it matters. What does matter is that Mike and I were able to respect each other in our differing opinions, recognize when we (really, when I) needed space, and listen when we needed to talk. Sometimes we missed cues about each other during the last five months. We're not perfect. However, we are in this together. We have accepted that, and we are looking forward to the new opportunities for the boys.

In a way, I can equate acceptance with love.

photo credit:apdk

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to describe marriage! I have a question for you about helping with an autistic child's socialization: My Andrew is completely content keeping his "socialization" within school hours. He does not seem interested in inviting friends over and hasn't had a friend over before. (Now contrast this with my social butterfly Ryan who has play dates at least a couple of times a week). Do I push Andrew and try to facilitate/arrange social activities or is that too much involvement? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Socializing for autistic children is definitely exhausting. I do suggest giving your son a break on school days. He's making the effort, and that is success. Celebrate each child's success, and try not to compare. I have two sons with autism, and they are very different. I'll answer this question in more detail in my next blog entry, so thanks for asking. Also, I wrote a blog entry about celebrating success a few weeks ago. Hope you check it out.

    ReplyDelete