Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summer School Adventure


For the last two weeks my teens with autism have been in summer school. It's a four hour course, four days a week, for four weeks. It's the equivalent of a semester of school. I asked Ryan and Nick if they wanted to try this class. My hope is that their regular school year will be less stressful by taking a required class over the summer. They will be able to focus on one class, which is much easier for kids with autism to do.

I also have an ulterior motive. Ryan and Nick are very different, and I hope that their skills will benefit each other. For example, Nick is a perfectionist. He will study until he knows it, even if he fills himself with anxiety. No breaks. This sounds like a mother's dream; he has an incredible work ethic. However, he gets chest pains, shortness of breath, and headaches. Not good.

On the other hand, Ryan is laid back when it comes to studying. There is always tomorrow, even if that final is tomorrow. Ryan has little concept of time. If there is a worksheet to complete, he can do that. There is a definitive beginning and end. However, studying? NOT going to happen unless he is prompted by me.

Another idea is that Nick, who is very social, will enable or inspire Ryan to talk. Nick has a difficult time talking, but he's not afraid to try. Ryan can talk quite well, but he prefers to not engage in conversation. Nick will self-advocate; Ryan will not.

We'll see how the two compliment or compete with each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment