Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Autism and Sensory Issues: Cacti Garden

In the Southwest, this is the perfect time of year to enjoy outside activities.  The boys agreed to pull out a huge, dead vine and put in a cactus garden.  The dead plant didn't receive enough water, so what else would make sense but to plant items that don't need much water?

Secretly, I had an ulterior motive.  I have noticed that some sensory issues are creeping back.  It has been over a year since Ryan and Nick have received any occupational therapy.  This type of therapy has helped them overcome a vast array of sensory issues.  For example, they can now wear jeans.  When they were younger, all they could tolerate on their skin was cotton.  Jeans were too itchy and heavy for them.  It took about 5-10 years for them to overcome clothing issues.

Anyways, at the autism conference last month I noticed Ryan could not wear his name badge.  It was attached to a cord that was suppose to go around his neck.  It lasted 10 minutes on his neck.  Throughout the day he tried to wear it because it was "required" to get in and out of the conference rooms.  Nonetheless, it never stayed around his neck for more than 10 minutes.

To deal with the sensory issues, I decided to use soil.  However, I needed to be creative.  The boys are not big fans of "therapies".  Thus, the idea of a cactus garden was born.  Dry dirt, wet mud, hard clay, icky weeds, and dead vines were attacked today.  The boys tolerated most of these items as long as I kept them busy.  If one stopped with the chore, suddenly the gunk on his hands bothered him.  Each one wanted to take a break and wash his hands.  I knew if they stopped, there'd be no getting them back on task.  Consequently, I was a benevolent dictator today.

I worked side by side with them.  Cut, pull, dig.  It took a few hours, but we finished pulling out the weeds and the dead plant.  We filled two garbage cans with the debris.  I was amazed at how well this team of autistic teens worked together.

After cleaning up and eating any food available, we went cacti shopping.  We found a wonderful array of inexpensive succulents and cacti.  Nick made the request for blue plants, and we actually found two blue cacti.  Cameron found a beautiful plant called a silver torch.  Cam discovered the soft, white "cotton" on the cactus belied the hidden sharp spines.  "Ouch," he exclaimed with astonishment.

Tomorrow we plant the new arrivals!  I have a feeling tomorrow will bring a new round of sensory issues:  planting and avoiding the spines.

photo credit:Clinton Steeds' photostream (200)

No comments:

Post a Comment