Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Autism and Signing Documents

Paperwork!! Nobody likes paperwork, but it is one of those necessities of life.  Especially for kids with autism.  Adults with autism too.

Yesterday, Ryan signed his first set of legal documents.  He signed powers of attorney.  One was 13 pages long!  The others were only a few pages.  He diligently read each section that he was asked to initial.  He took his time.  At the end of each document he signed his name.  Carefully.  In cursive.  We rehearsed that.

For several weeks Mike and I have been talking with Ryan about growing up and taking responsibility.  That is something that Ryan isn't really keen on.  He definitely wants freedom and independence, but he's not really keen on the responsibility that comes with the territory of adulthood.

That can spell disaster for a typical 18 year old, but for an adult with autism who might be easily swayed, this is not something to take lightly.  Any wrong decision could be life altering for him.  And us.

I researched the different avenues we could pursue, as parents, for Ryan.  We want to protect him, while continuing to teach him about his choices in life.  We want him to continue to become independent from us, while minimizing risks.  It's really an oxymoron in logic.

I attended a few seminars about guardianship and "transitioning into adulthood".  I learned about the various types of guardianship that would require going to court to prove to a judge that Ryan is incompetent, completely or partially.  That would remove all or some rights for Ryan, like driving, voting, etc. I also learned about power of attorney that doesn't restrict Ryan's rights at all.  He authorizes us (or whomever he chooses) to make decisions or help him make decisions.  He retains his ability to make his choices independently, as well.
 
My gut reaction was the option of the power of attorney.  Mike agreed.  We explained the power of attorney concept to Ryan, and he liked that idea!  I found a special needs estate planner to draw up the documents.  Although I could have used any attorney, I want someone who specializes in this field.  It took a couple of weeks, and yesterday, Ryan signed those documents.

His first signing as an adult.




No comments:

Post a Comment