Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Cacti Garden: Project Done!

Before the work began.  Dead plant.
The boys finished the cacti garden the next day.  It's just taken me a few weeks to get the photos.  They worked well together, although they did ask if they could stop and finish "later" or "tomorrow".  I kept them on task.  When they were done, they were very proud of their work.

Each boy had his own cactus or succulent that was special to him, but they worked together to space out the plants.  Ryan figured out quickly how not to get pricked by the spines.  He used the plastic container that the cactus came in.  He simply flipped the container over and guided the top of the plant where he wanted it.  Then he quickly filled in the dirt around the plant.  Cameron tried not to use anything, but in the end, he admitted he needed gloves.  Nick just kept quietly digging and filling dirt without a word.

Ryan in front.  Cameron in the red shirt.  Nick in the back.
It's been two weeks, and they are very concerned about watering the cacti garden.  I have to remind them that cacti don't need water.  Hence, one of the reasons we picked to add them to our landscape.  Less water, less $$ out.

They periodically go out to check on the growth of the garden.  Ryan is especially proud of his saguaro.  It'll be the biggest cactus in the garden in a few years.

I can't wait to see how the plants progress and how each boy looks after garden in the coming months and years.

Finally done!

No comments:

Post a Comment