Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Getting Through The End Of The Quarter Workload

Nearing the end of the quarter is not fun for teachers or students.  For an autistic teenager, it's an anxious-ridden, turbulent time.  If autism is coupled with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), it's a nightmare for the family. 

This last weekend Nicholas presented me with the work he had to accomplish.  He had a huge project due on Monday.  He also had a major test in that same class on Monday.  He had another project due later in the week.  This particular project required drawing and writing:  the two weaknesses of Nicholas.  There were other assignments and tests, also due on Monday.

Monday Morning Blues awaited, but we could lessen that impact with hard work.  The trick was to not let Nicholas feel anxiety.  Once that hits, game over.  That means he can't focus anymore.  Literally.

I spent the weekend working with Nick.  We prioritized.  What had to be done immediately?  What could we use as a "break"?  When I saw how much information this one test was going to cover, we instantly started studying.  I learned with him.  We focused on major concepts.  Then we added details.  Memory is Nick's strength.

When we had to take a break, we focused on the projects.  We alternated memorizing and projects.  Until 5pm Saturday evening.  I could see stress starting to build in Nick.  We had covered so much, yet we had much more to do.  I had to pace us--to keep going slowly but steadily.

By 6pm Nick's eyes revealed signs of anxiety.  We stopped.  I made a decision.  No more project work.  Nick's eyes widened.  I told him enough was enough.  He had to focus on one item.  I said the test was more important that the project.  I told him I'd email the teacher right away.  He was unsure, but he immediately sighed.  Really.  His shoulders relaxed.

I emailed the teacher about the situation, even saying that I assumed she would be understanding and generous.  I received a reply Sunday morning.  The teacher agreed to let Nick have an extension on the project.  She enlightened me that she knew Nick had been working on it since the project was assigned.  He was asking her questions daily.  So this definitely was not a case of procrastination.  I showed Nick the teacher's email, and he was happy.  Nick was happy.  :)

Nick came home yesterday, and he said that he thought he did well on the test.  It hadn't been graded, but he wasn't concerned.  Which is unusual.  He said he had to focus on the projects.  Last night we drafted three pages of his project, and he completed them.  Tonight we'll do the graphs and the written assignment.  That will be one project done.

Then the next project awaits.  Always, one at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment