Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Home From Surgery

Surgery done.  Outpatient basis.  Am home.  Whew!

This all started about 6 weeks ago.  Yep, I noticed a lump, bump, or thing on my right shoulder blade.  It was on top of sore muscles--muscles that are always tight when I'm stressed.  (Connection? Hmm.  Would not be surprised.)  There was no pain, no redness, no itching.  Just this lump.

Surgery time! I was awake through the whole procedure.  After the local anesthetic took effect, I felt nothing but a lot of tugging and pulling.  The surgeon described what she was doing.  Not a bunch of detail, enough to keep my imagination in check. The incision is about 3 inches long, so this tumor was not small.  After all was done, I saw the tumor.  Gnarly thing.  A big clump of tissues banded together.

This lovely collection of unwanted cells will be sent to the lab for testing.  The doc is fairly sure that it is benign, but I will wait for official results before closing this chapter.  I don't want to think it's all done, only to find out it's not. 

I asked how long it had been growing.  The doc estimated 5 years.  She is not sure how it remained hidden, but it did.

It's been a few hours now.  My right arm tingles.  Pins and needles kind of pain.  Think of the funny bone being hit just right; then the arm feels a tingling paralysis.  Muscles are tight throughout the neck and shoulder.  Other than that, I'm fine.

Just have to wait for those lab results. In the meantime, I get to sit and watch a movie marathon from my recliner.  Life is good!




No comments:

Post a Comment