Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Tumor: Stressed Induced?

I received the call from the doc's office on Thursday afternoon with the lab test results.  The tumor was benign.  YEA.  Ok.  Many questions remain unanswered.  How could this tennis ball size tumor remain hidden for 5 years?  What caused the tumor in the first place?  Could it have been prevented?  These all lead to this question:  Am I taking care of myself?

I highly suspect this tumor is the result of stress. It was growing over muscles that are constantly tight whenever I am stressed.  And when am I not stressed?  When is any mom not stressed?  By nature of motherhood, something always requires attention.

Then add on special needs kids.  Therapies, diets, agencies, doctors all demand attention, but the children themselves are the priority.  And don't forget the marriage.  The spouses try to squeeze in a few minutes of communication here and there!

I have had some people ask me when I get down time.  HAHAHA.  They usually figure out that there is no such thing for me.  Even if I am sitting, my thoughts don't stop.  When I sleep, I often wake up, processing information because I can finally think without being interrupted.

Am I stressed?  Yep.  Some doctors have told me that I need to remove whatever causes stress.  Well, unless I can walk away from life, I don't think I'll remove it all.  This will be a work in progress.  Of course, I am much more aware of how stress can impede my health...

No comments:

Post a Comment