Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Sunday, September 22, 2013

I Want To Be Like My Big Brother

Ryan, Nick, Michael, Cameron
When the boys were in elementary school, teachers often had them write about whom they admired.  Without fail, the answer would be, "My big brother."

With four boys still in the house, many assume the younger boys mean Stuart.  While Stu is fun-loving, hardworking, and admirable, he is not always the big brother being referenced.  In our family, the big brother is the the tallest, ie 6'2".  Literally the BIG brother.  Michael.

Michael has been out of the house for a decade now.  He lives about a mile away.  Far enough to live his own life, but close enough to help.  Michael knows the challenges facing his little brothers, and many times he takes them to offer me reprieve.

My younger sons usually like going over the Mike's because they get to play video games, eat (gluten free) fast food, drink sodas, stay up late, and do nothing.  Then there's the flip side.  Mike keeps them busy.  He usually has a project or two going on.

This month they are making a bench out of an old bar.  The plans for the bench hang on the garage wall.  The wood and tools cover the floor.  The boys show me various aspects.  Each one voices what he likes (or doesn't like) about the project.  They like using the tools.  The loud noises--not so much.

Mike has a knack for solving problems, like getting the boys to work together on a project that is new to them.  They might complain at first, but ultimately, they have a good time completing the tasks at hand.  They then have a great sense of accomplishment.  Priceless!


No comments:

Post a Comment